Lunchbox project: Success!

I haven’t said much about the lunchbox project since it began. Mostly, that’s because I was slow to make my napkins and weave my dishcloths, but it has now been in full swing for a bit!

The dishcloths have been more successful than I’d hoped. They dry well in the office and don’t seem to hold too much grease or food bits.

Napkins have become tea-towels! Well, sort of. They still get used as napkins, but they are good tea-towels too, so I haven’t made a dedicated tea-towel. I might still do that though as the napkins are kind of small.

The reusable cups are in use, though I need to get a glass one for use in the office (the silicone ones I own are carried in my bag for on-the-way-to-work drinks).

I haven’t bought dedicated cutlery yet, but I have removed a spoon from the office stash and that’s enough for eating most foods!

So… it has gone pretty well. The next thing I want to make are waxed cloths for wrapping sandwiches etc. Exciting!!

And, while it’s not part of the lunchbox project I have to say the patching of the jeans worked for their first wear. I’m hoping to patch a second pair now and that may mean a clothes-buying-free year this year!

Advertisements

Sewing not weaving!

I used to be a frequent sewer and have a cupboard full of fabric to prove it! I also have a nice – not too fancy – sewing machine which I bought late in my sewing days as an investment in future projects. It got used for only the 4th time in its life the other week when I made my napkins (part of the lunch box project).

Sad.

But since then – as it was out – I’ve used it to make a ticket holder and I patched a pair of jeans! Both of these projects came with excitement.

To start; the ticket holder. It’s just a tube with one end sewn, but it was the first time I’d found a reason to use one of the Harris Tweed samples I got on Lewis last year. It needs a little tweaking, but it’s doing its job admirably!

A piece of Harris Tweed sown into a tube and with the ends turned in.

This pic doesn’t do the colours justice; it has lovely grey and blue tones in there with the browns.

Now to the jeans. Mine always wear on the thigh well before they are in any other way worn out, so throwing them out has bugged me over many jeans wearing years.

Then I saw that people are starting to repair jeans and I watched some videos on how. It’s pretty simple and, because I’d chopped up all my thigh-worn jeans in recent years, I’ve plenty of patching denim!

So, here is a short photo sequence on the first repair job:

Torn, worn out denim
 This is how the damage looked from the wrong side
The rectangle of denim for patching lying on the tear
So, this was my patch
The repaired denim
This is the patched and sewn tear as seen from the right side

As you can see it involved a lot of zig-zag stitch, but that was simple enough. The hardest part was, surprisingly, using my thread scissors to snip off all the pills around the tear as they will only continue the damage.

Being thigh wear, the two patches won’t be all that visible to the world, so I could leave it a bit rough. I did take the opportunity to turn up my hems though as they also had a little wear. Now my jeans are good to go!

Hopefully this week I’ll get to see how comfortable the patching is, but assuming that goes well, I’ll be very happy to repair jeans in future. I suspect my sewing machine will be happy to hear it…