Can yarn be cursed?

Some time ago I did a post on the “bendy scarf”. It was not the yarn’s fault the scarf had failed – totally knitter’s error – but I’m beginning to suspect this yarn has been cursed by an evil yarn fairy.

Why? I just finished it weaving it and… somehow my yarn calculations went screwy. Sigh. Now the result of this wasn’t fatal and the scarf was only for me. Still…

So what happened? Well, I’d always wanted to do a striped scarf with this cotton, so I warped with lovely stripes:

Blue, green and purple uneven striped warp on the loom
Here is the purple yarn as weft, crossing the stripes

The warp only took half the yarn I had left, so I decided I’d use the cotton for weft as well. Because I didn’t have enough of any one colour to do the whole thing, I contemplated a plaid, but I’m not a huge plaid fan. Finally I decided on blocks (roughly 3rds) of each colour.

The different weft colours are so subtle which I love.

The finished scarf folded to show the three different weft colours
If you look closely you’ll see green weft at the front, blue in the middle and purple at the back

But 3rds did not happen! I’d already transitioned from the 1st colour to the 2nd when I realised I had gone wrong… which means I was too far in to start over.

What I do love about this project though, is it’s a great experiment in colour. Not only are the colours much duller than most yarns I use but they are so close in value that the weft really does blend beautifully.

I also got to play with gradually transitioning the colours. Sadly this was also a casualty of my messed up calculations, so I’m not in love with how they came out, but the upside is that I’ve now tried the technique and know what not to do!

And where did my calc’s go wrong? No idea. I suspect I flipped some numbers around when I weighed the yarn originally… Ah well. I still have a new stripey scarf!

Weaving colour #7

So in the previous posts about this I talked about using different shades of one colour or choosing a complementary pair, but you might have a yarn stash that doesn’t provide those options, or you might just like lots of colours in your cloth! What to do?

Say you want three colours. There is something generally pleasing about three colours I think (maybe that’s just me) and you have two easy options here:

  •   triadic colours
  •   analogous colours

Sorry what? Yeah those colour terms get a bit weird.

Simply put, if you take any three colours from the colour wheel that are equal distances apart then that’s your triad. The most basic of this is, of course, red, yellow and blue. The trick is that they must all three must be equally far apart, like spokes.

colour wheel

If, instead, you take three colours that lie next to each other on the wheel (e.g. green, blue-green and green-blue) then those are your analogous colours and will also work well together.

colour wheelWith both triadic and analogous colours you should use more of one colour and then the others in small amounts. You might remember that was mentioned too with complimentary colours.

Fooling with pooling…

The pooling project came hot off the loom this morning and I’m happy. Very happy. The pooled colours have come up a treat and, while I can’t seem to take a pic that is colour accurate (!), it looks amazing.

Here is a photo journey from skein to scarf:

Skein of yarn
The skein which you have seen in a previous post…
A big ball of yarn for the pooling project
Became a big ball of yarn…
A variegated warp aligned so the colours pool creating bands
The strands were then aligned in the warp so the colour bands appeared
Yarn for the pooling project threaded on the loom
The loom was dressed…
The pooling project web in progress
And some black weft used… please ignore the wobbly web (tension issues!)
The cloth fresh off the loom hanging from a coathanger
It all led to this! A very nicely banded scarf with lovely spiky colour changes.

Aligning the colours did take a bit of time and, truth-be-told, more than one go. Though, once I’d figured out how to best handle the skein’s anti-pooling measures it was a doddle!

Some tension problems occurred; partly because I was tweaked the alignment as I tied-on and partly because the sticky yarn wanted to clump. I should probably have untied the whole thing and re-done it, but I – of course – wanted to get on with the weaving.

Still, I don’t think it’s harmed the scarf.

I enjoyed doing this so much that I’m already planning another one! Though there are a few other things I might do before then… hmm…